Friday, September 30, 2011

Go Hog Wild!


Do you ever use expressions that are very descriptive and then suddenly wonder what they really mean? Where they really come from?   This sign was discovered on the side of a very unique record and tape business in San Antonio, TX.  They specialize in hard to find music, of the heavy metal, punk and edgy independent kind.    http://sanantonio.cityvoter.com/hogwild-records

As I was thinking of this piece this morning, I realized just how steeped in Christianity our country is.  The expression " Go hog wild" refers back to the Bible.  In Matthew 7:6, we are admonished not to throw our pearls before swine, because they will turn and trample them under their feet.  
In  Matthew 8: 28-34 we learn the story of Jesus casting violent demons out of two men and sending them into a herd of swine.  
I was totally blown away when I realized the implication of going "Hog Wild!"  
I have always been fond of the expression and have always like to act wild and crazy!  But I certainly don't want to filled with demons or trample pearls!  Looks like I need a new expression!  LOL :)

No comments:

Post a Comment